Saturday, May 21, 2011

End Of The World Photos

Man Cave

You might not know it if you just watch the regular news, but the world is supposed to end today – sometime this evening. You would THINK that this might make the news, but apparently not. Now, as some of you know, I built a “man cave” a few weeks ago as a heavy-duty blind from which to take photos. I don’t mean to imply that this will protect you in the case of the world’s end, it just fits into the events of today.


Juvie Cooper's Hawks Terrorizing the neighborhood today
Note: Raptor vs Rapture - very important difference

Side note – APPARENTLY the world isn’t actually supposed to come to and end, per se. Instead, all the good people will go up to heaven and leave the rest behind. Again, very skimpy reporting. After what I believe was the deadline, I began calling those people that I figured might be among those going to heaven. No answers from any of them. I guess that means that I might have missed the cut. If that’s the case, I am going to stop recycling.


Hummer made a showing today

Anyway, I was out in the man cave when I saw a large object approaching quickly and quietly. Very hard to see out of that side of the man cave, so I wasn't sure what it was. I always sort of thought that God would be wearing a white robe, so I figured this shouldn’t be interpreted as good news. Also, I noticed a rather serious flaw in my man cave. Only one point of entry/exit. Crud. I’m apparently not even as smart as a prairie dog.

Not ready to give up, I searched my surroundings for a weapon. Unfortunately, all I had was a paper cup filled with lemonade. Figures that I had cut back on Diet Coke because of everyone saying that it will kill you. I could have used something deadly.


Turns out that the mystery creature was a Wild Turkey. While they seem to be everywhere in my town, I had only seen one in my yard in the past 25 years. It wandered over to my bird feeder and pretty much had it’s way with my nuts, so to speak.


Anyway, I got a few shots. It was a little tough since I was working with a 600mm of lens and the stupid bird was less than 10 feet away most of the time.


If you are reading this, I guess that you are an unrepentant sinner doomed to spend all eternity in hell. That being the case, maybe you could drop by my website and buy a few photos. You can use credit cards and then skip out on paying your bill later due to the whole end of the world thing. You may also want to pick up the current edition of Birds and Blooms Magazine (the Hummingbird Issue) which has a lot of my work in it, inclucing an article.


I do intend to do a story on the building of the man cave, but apparently one of my cameras decided to take a vacation without the rest of the family.

As an update, I did manage to contact my brother who is a pretty spiritual guy and I figured him to be out on the first wave. He said he didn't think it would necessarily work that way, but he was pretty sure that this wasn't really the end of the world. He still plans to go to work tonight, so maybe we dodged the big one - THIS TIME.

In the event that you are not dead, you can see more of my photos on my website at:
http://stevebyland.com/

1 comment:

  1. Well, that was a pretty harrowing account, Steve. I was sitting on the edge of my chair, waiting to hear how it came out. Wait, I think I'm pretty spiritual, so I guess I agree with your brother that this isn't the last call. I'm glad Duane & I still have the chance to pick up that copy of Birds & Blooms!

    regards,

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete